Apple released iOS 6 on 19th of September, 2012, PurpleTab is excited with the new features and is updating all the client applications to be compatible with iOS 6. Get to know about the new features of iOS 6:
10 amazing features of iOS 6
- Maps - provide you with turn by turn navigation, traffic, flyover and local search. Apple has now replaced google maps with apple maps in its new iOS 6. The most important features of apple maps which overcomes google maps are
- Flyover – 3D flyover feature showing the sky down and the ground up
- Turn by turn navigation – type your address and the maps show you the exact path for your destination.
- Traffic – Shows you an alternate way when you are trapped in an traffic or when there is a one way ahead.
- Siri – Siri is designed to understand a human. You can talk with Siri as you do with a human. Ask for the nearest burger restaurant, or nearest movie, or latest score update of your favourite sports player.
- Facebook – Integrate face book, the largest social network with iOS. You just need to login once and your facebook friends profile information is integrated into contacts. This helps you get the update.
- Shared Photo Stream – share selected photos with selected audience and also get updated when your friend shares your album with any one.
- Passbook – Book what ever the type of ticket you have and keep track of it with passbook.
- Facetime – can now work with cellular phone or Wi-Fi network and watch who is talking over cell phone.
- Phone feature is designed when you do not attend an incoming call, you can reply with a text message or set a callback reminder. Reply, Remind and do not disturb
- Mail – Lets you set up a VIP list which will not allow you to leave out any of your contacts while sending messages.
- Safari – now saves the web page which you view, not the links. This helps you to view the web pages even when you are not connected to the internet.
- Accessibility – People with less vision,hearing,learning and mobility disabilities can ge the most from their iOS devices.
Steps to install iOS 6 on ipad
Before you begin your update, it is a must that you take up a back up of all your existing files. Back up can now be done either with iCloud or iTunes. If you wish to back up with iCloud go to Settings -> iCloud -> Storage and Backup ->Back Up now.
Updating ipad to iOS 6
You can update iPad to iOS 6 in three ways depending on the user preferences.
- Over-the-Air / Over a local Wi-Fi network:
iOS 6 can be updated to iPad through Over the Air (OTA). This update can be done easily with less time consumed by installing only the updated file. So the size of the file to be installed is so small and fast update is done. Over the Air method of update is more faster when compared with the other two methods.
Follow the steps below to perform Over The Air update:
- Enter Settings and press General.
- Press Software Update to view information about the software to be updated.
- Press Download and Install to complete the process.
- You will have to agree to terms and conditions.
- If your device is not connected to power source, a pop up remains you to do so.
- The updation process will be completed after the device reboot automatically.
Watch a video on to install iOS 6 on iPad using Over the Air Update:
Watch on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coFYaCZyMPU
(more details on Over-The-Air Update is outlined at Apple Support at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623)
- Update using IPSW FilesThis process of update is done for more advanced users as it involves more manual work for update using restoring the iPad. The direct download links for the IPSW files are provided below for respective models:
- The New iPad LTE GSM
- The New iPad LTE CDMA
- The New iPad Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G GSM
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G CDMA
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
Steps to perform update via IPSW file:
1. Download the IPSW file for your respective model from the direct links presented above
2. Connect your device to your computer.
3. Select your iPad when it appears in iTunes under Devices. Select the Summary tab, Press Option button on the keyboard and click the Restore button.
4. Select your IPSW file from the finder
5. Click Restore
(more details on update via iTunes Restore method using IPSW is available at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414)
- Updating from iTunes 10.7 :If you have the latest version of iTunes 10.7+ then connecting the device to computer and open iTunes. Click on Check for Update
Click on download and Update to update your iPad to iOS 6
Your ipad is now updated with iOS 6. Press continue now.
Now sign in with your apple id and password
Go through the terms and conditions and press Agree button at the bottom right corner to continue with the process.
IOS 6 is successfully installed in your iPad now. Press start using iPad to start using iOS 6 now.
PurpleTab Customers can reach PurpleTab support for any assistance with iOS 6 updates.